JE Group Commitment to Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS)
The Johnson Electric (JE) Group is committed to protecting the environment and the health and safety of our employees wherever we operate around the world. It is our belief that excellent EHS performance will contribute to the sustainable growth of the company for generations to come.
Our specific Environmental, Health and Safety goals are:
- No harm to people working for us; and
- No damage to the environment wherever we operate
To achieve these goals, we will endeavor to:
- Minimize the ecological impact of our operations;
- Comply with the applicable environmental, health and safety laws and regulations;
- Design products and processes that are safe and environmentally friendly;
- Implement an EHS management system that sets the company’s standards for managing the various environmental, health and safety risks;
- Improve our EHS management by defining appropriate objectives and targets on a regular basis;
- Promote a positive safety culture and an environmentally aware workforce with regular communications to our employees.
- Devote appropriate resources and leadership for the implementation of the EHS management system; and
- Communicate our environmental, health and safety performance to our stakeholders and seek their involvement wherever applicable.
Global Environmental, Health and Safety Management System of the Group
In order to continuously improve our environmental, health and safety management in the company, we have developed a Global EHS Management System through which employees’ health and safety needs and environmental matters are addressed.
The Global EHS Management System articulates the company’s strategic commitment to EHS which is an integral part of JE’s approach to risk management. Beside the Group EHS Policy, the system comprises of a series of globally applicable EHS Standards and an EHS assurance process. JE requires all its worldwide locations to apply the EHS Standards to avoid, mitigate and manage the various environmental, health and safety risks.
Following the specific requirements of these EHS Standards, JE locations are expected to achieve the goals of no harm to our employees and no damage to the environment. The EHS Standards are periodically updated in order to achieve the objective of continuous improvement. When a host country’s regulations differ from the levels and measures presented in the JE EHS Standards, the relevant JE location is expected to achieve both the country regulations and those specified in the JE EHS Standards.
The EHS Standards have 22 Elements including:
- Incident Notification, Investigation and Reporting
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Electrical Safety
- Machine Safety
- Manual Handling
- Elevated Work / Working at Height
- Safety Committee and Safety Inspections
- Vehicle Safety
- Chemical Management
- Hot Work
- Lifting Operations
- Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational Health
- EHS Training and Communication
- Access Authorization and Control
- Contractor Management
- Hazard and Risk Assessment
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Lock-out / Tag-out (LOTO)
- Environmental and Energy Management
- Documentation & Recordkeeping
- Audit and Assurance
JE facilities are required to conduct self-assessment as part of the annual compliance assurance process. In addition, there are periodic EHS compliance audits to verify the compliance status along with the compliance of country specific regulatory requirements.
Most of the operating facilities in the JE Group are certified by the internationally recognized ISO14001 and/or OHSAS 18001 standards on environmental management and occupational health and safety management. The compliance to these international standards are regularly audited and verified by external auditors.
As part of the ISO14001 Environmental Management System process, significant environmental aspects are identified; specific objectives and targets are set and appropriate resources and procedures are provided. Together with periodic audits and management reviews, we are implementing a complete EHS management and assurance process in the company to ensure goals are achieved.