The major source of carbon footprint within our industry is the energy required to manufacture our products and also indirectly the efficiency of our subsystems when used within our customer’s products. Johnson Electric’s green initiatives are focused in two major areas, the reduction of electricity used in our production plants and in the development of more energy efficient products.
Johnson Electric has evaluated its annual carbon footprint and as a result has introduced programs to create continuous improvement. Understanding the profile of our carbon footprint allowed us to craft a company policy and plan of action that is focused internally on Johnson Electric facilities and externally on the products we supply to our customers.
Technology Innovations for Eco Products
- Product Development Strategy to improve automotive fuel efficiency
- Power density improvements in all product lines
- Electronically Commutated (EC) motors for energy efficiency
- New designs requiring less steel, copper and plastic.
- Product road maps for energy efficiency
- Aligned with Eco market initiatives such as EuP & Energy Star
Solar powered water heating
Electricity Use in the Production Process
The responsibilities of our EH&S management committee has been expanded beyond the traditional Environmental, Health and Safety perimeter to include carbon footprint monitoring and improvement. This committee regularly reports to the Executive Committee regarding the initiatives that are underway worldwide. Some of the activities are listed below.
- Switched from diesel generators to the electric power grid in China
- Productivity improvements to increase production output per kilowatt hour
- Renovation of production machinery for energy efficiency
- Miniaturization of plastic molding machines for energy efficiency
- Utilization of energy efficient lighting
- Solar powered water heating for the needs of 30,000 employees
- Water blanket technology to reduce air conditioning demand in production plants
- Warehouse elimination to reduce energy for storage environmental control
- Metal recycling program (steel and copper)
- Recycling programs for disposables, plastics, paper, ink cartridges
- Tooling redesign to reduce scrap generated in metal stamping processes
Creating a Green Culture
- Efficient use of water and electricity
- Waste reduction programs (water, process scrap etc.)
- Maintenance of air conditioning equipment
- Maximize use of daylight
- Switch-off culture for appliances, business equipment and lighting
- Minimize printing